The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) started the Buildings of Excellence Competition in an effort to “accelerate the design, development, construction and operation of very low or zero carbon emitting buildings that are capable of withstanding increased risks and impacts from future climate change”. The competition accepts proposals for projects that are in early or late design status and are eligible to receive up to $1,000,000 in direct funding, in addition to support for initiatives centered around public awareness and broad marketing. The competition intends to identify and select proposals for projects that demonstrate the greatest potential for success and replication.
Those entering the contest must demonstrate the following:
- How the project will generate interest in and demand or the construction of low carbon and climate-resilient advanced clean energy buildings.
- A commitment to share information related to the projects design, costs, and performance, which is expected to support decision making processes employed to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Architectural and urban design quality and innovation.
- How their projects provide superior financial benefits for owners, and provide attractive, healthy, safe, and otherwise outstanding living environments for occupants.
The competition pledges to award $40 million in direct funding, split up into 3 rounds. The awards for the first round of the competition were announced on October 29, 2019, at the Building Energy Exchange. While $10 million was reserved for this first round, the response to the competition was so overwhelming that an additional $8 million was allocated to award all of the (28) first round winners.
EP Engineering is proud to have been the MEP engineer on the following Passive House projects that were awarded in the first round:
- 211 W 29th Street, New York, NY 10001 – 24-story Residential Tower
- Owner: Bernstein Real Estate
- Architect: ZH Architects
- Project Manager: CHA Companies
- 511 E 86th Street, New York, NY 10028 – 23-story Residential Tower
- Owner: Sky Management
- Architect: Arquitectonica
- Project Manager: CHA Companie
- 669 St Marks Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11216 – 5-story Multi-Family Building
- Owner: Masmark LLC
- Architect: Cycle Architecture + Planning